Tuesday, June 25, 2013
The Secret to Small Talk
Story time: I went off to college without a perfected ability to small talk. I sat in class wanting to talk to the sweet girl next to me and for the life of me could not think of anything to say. During cleaning checks awkward silences would fill my dorm as the RA checked the cleaning. I'd be outside the bishop's office along with 2-3 others waiting for an interview and have no clue how to pass the time. Luckily, I had a great example of a small talker living with me. My roommate ROCKS at small talk. And you know what her secret is? Just ask questions. Mostly everyone likes talking about themselves. So just ask plenty of questions. Before you know it, they'll be rambling about raising pet hamsters, their old boyfriends in high school, or the newest drama with the girls at church. You end up learning a lot about them and their life. And BAM you have a steady conversation without any of those painful awkward silences. And guess what? There's an added plus to starting small talk! Small talk can help you gage if they can be a trusted solid future friend as well. The test? Whether or not they ask questions back. If they ask you questions, then they're interested in your life as well. So try it! Next time you need a reason to talk to someone, fill the empty space, or to just pass the time, ask a question.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment