Learning more about our world's history, I've realized that there has been so much bad. So much hatred. So many people hopeless, enslaved, hurt, trodden upon. It makes my stomach sick to even try to fathom the terrible trials that so many people have gone through. It almost makes me feel disgusted... to know that I am a part of this human race. A race that many call superior, but superior in what? We cannot even treat each other with love and respect. I can't go personally help the enslaved Africans, the stolen generation, the Mormon pioneers, the Romanian orphanage children, the Jews in concentration camps, those who fell to the Gadianton Robber's hands, even the kids in Africa now deemed the Invisible Children. Part of me wishes I could console the hurt, but I just can't.
I've realized however, that I can do something. I can make an effort to see the good. To praise it, encourage it, support it. I have this quote that says "Look for the good in every day, even if you have to squint." It may be hard, but there's always something out there that brings a smile. Something good. I may not be able to personally bring happiness or good to others in the past, but I can today. I can serve others. On my mission, I'll be able to spread the best news of the restored gospel. I can give strangers a smile. I can give an odd compliment. I can just be happy. I believe that happiness is contagious, and maybe someday my smile could spread across the world and reach someone in China or Australia. It may be hard to keep that smile, but it's possible. Even when this world seems dark and dreary, I've got to keep my head up. I can be the good.
No comments:
Post a Comment