Sunday, April 14, 2013

Future Bilingualist?

Ok... so I am posting twice in one day.  Maybe ridiculous.  Maybe cool.  You tell me.

So I am not good at languages.  My native language, English, isn't even perfect...  My southern accent sometimes skews words and I get funny looks from others.  I took 2 years of Spanish in high school.  My poor teachers would always move on after I answered a question because they couldn't tell if it was right or wrong.  It was too jumbled and pronounced poorly that they couldn't understand.  So no surprise, on my mission papers I had said I was kind of interested in learning a language.  I mean, I want the people I teach to understand me!
Then this last month, I've received a new perspective.  I guess you could say my heart has been softened, or my faith strengthened.  You see, I have this peace that if I go foreign speaking, I will be ok.  I will be able to learn the language.  By faith and trust, the Lord will help me tell His investigators His gospel.  So, I ended up changing my papers to very interested in learning a new language.  I may not even be sent somewhere foreign speaking, but if I am, I know I will be ok.  The Lord will help my southern accent to stay out of the way.  He will tell me the words I need to say.  He'll give me an opportunity to know another language.  Who knows how that will help in the future!  It's been very cool to see how the Lord has changed the way I have viewed my speaking skills.  He has changed my fear into peace.  In 2 weeks, we'll see where He plans on me to go!

Excited,
Quirky Kaila

No comments:

Post a Comment