Saturday, January 26, 2013

Southern Accents: Curse or blessing?

I was blessed with a Southern accent from growing up in sweet home Alabama.  My town wasn't a tiny, everyone knows everyone town, but it definitely had good food and thick southern drawls.  I really miss the Southern accents from back home.  Out here in Utah, I stick out so much.  And the thing was, I didn't really think I had too bad of an accent until I came out here.  Now I have people constantly repeating what I say in their pretty sad attempts of a southern accent.  It can be buggy, but I try not to see it in an annoying way.  My accent is a good conversation starter- everyone asks where I'm from.  It's usually a HUGE hit with boys.  They think it's super cute.  It makes me more memorable.  So even if I get teased and I stick out like a sore thumb out here in the West, I'm grateful for my southern accent.  I'm grateful that the way I talk can bring a smile to a friend's face.

Once a Southern girl, always a Southern girl,
Kaila

No comments:

Post a Comment