Monday, February 4, 2013

Wrinkly Hands

At 5:30 pm, from somewhere on campus the national anthem was played.  I seriously have no clue where it came from, but it was a full blown band playing.  I looked around and everyone had stopped to salute it.  I stood in the cold air, with my hand over my heart, and thought of how great this country is.  When it stopped, I continued walking to the bus.  To my dismay it was driving away.  So here I am, a good patriotic citizen, who is now walking home.  I could barely feel my hands.  I tried to move them but they seemed to crackle and get so wrinkly.  SO WRINKLY.  I had a solid 20 minutes to think about being an old grandma.  So I came up with a list:
DON'Ts
Wear high waisted pants. ever.
Pinch my kids cheeks
Tell too many "well back in my day..." stories
Yell at my grandkids
Go 10 mph less than the actual speed limit
Become a chess addict
Get work done to remove age spots or wrinkles. They show years of wisdom and laughter and happiness.
DOs
Be the "favorite" grandma (yes, there is a competition)
Be the best home-made cook ever
Generous...in advice, gifts, love
Strong and independent, but at the same time know when to ask for help

Have a home that any and every one will feel welcome
Cute decorations for every season
Best hugger ever

Really close to my grandkids... Like if I can't live close, keep in contact through phone calls and skype
Make sure that my grandkids know that I love them and always will love them
Let my grandkids and family know that I have a testimony
     I feel like these last 3 ones are most important.  I want my grandkids and children to not have one doubt  
     whatsoever that I love them, my Savior, and my Heavenly Father.

I finally got home with red...almost blue wrinkly hands.  I whipped up a cup of hot cocoa and grabbed some lotion.  I'll stress about being a grandma when that time comes.
a young "whippersnapper,"
Quirky Kaila

No comments:

Post a Comment